We slowed down a bit in math to be sure that Rupert gets his addition facts down cold. He likes math and understands the concept of addition, we just need to work on memorizing those facts so he can spit them out in a split second. I think taking a little extra time here will really benefit him in the end.
Phonics is Rupert's least favorite subject. I'm not exactly sure why. I think he gets a little overwhelmed when he sees many words on a page and knows he as to read them ALL. To make it more fun for him, I had him act out the sentences we was reading, and although that took longer, he had more fun with it.
Grammar and Writing are going along well. So far I really like the materials I've chosen to use with him. He is learning about nouns and proper nouns, capitalization and punctuation, and practicing his listening and narration skills. He has also memorized a poem.
We talked about habitats in science this week and we made a diorama of a desert habitat. Rupert chose to add cacti, a camel and a rattlesnake to his habitat diorama. I think it came out cute. 
In history, we learned about the Nomads and how they eventually became farmers. After learning all about them, we pretended to be Nomads, moving our tent from place to place in search of food. We found berries and hunted wild animals (AKA the family cat) to eat. Finally we settled in the "Fertile Crescent" and learned to farm. Rupert really enjoyed this little game, and I know that playing it really set the things we learned this week in his mind.

2 comments:
Looks like a good week, thanks for sharing!
Forgot to say, cool diorama!
Post a Comment