Thursday, September 24, 2009

1st Grade: Week 6 Highlights

Phonics!!! (notice the exclamation points): Rupert informed me that he did not like phonics because it was too EASY. Well, then, let's just move right along at record speed! We zipped through digraphs on Monday and then for the rest of the week we read sections from McGuffey's Eclectic Primer. At first he didn't seem too interested, but then my phone rang. As I was on the phone I faintly heard him jabbering to himself. When I turned around, I realized that he was not just jabbering, he was READING the book to himself! He was not getting frustrated like he does when I supervise, he was just happily reading. I think his reading confidence is building because I am catching him reading little things here and there and EVERYWHERE!! Yay!

Science: We did a project to see how the fur on the bottom of polar bears' feet helps them to keep from sliding on the ice.

History: Past project updates: We have flooded our model of the Nile River three times now and it is looking great! I wish our back yard looked this good!

Here's the photo update on our Chicken Pharaoh.

This week we also built a pyramid out of sugar cubes:

Math: We used the drill section on www.mathusee.com . It's a quick and easy way to practice what we've been learning.

Kung Fu: We've been doing lots of practice for the tournament, which is this Saturday. He will do an empty hand form, a weapons form and sparring. It should be a fun time!

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

First, good luck to G at his tournament. I hope he has a blast.

Second, YAY for reading! There's nothing more exciting than discoverin the world that being able to read open up for you.

Third, I never did anything even HALF as cool at public school that you do at home with Rupert. Good job Mama! :)

Mommy to One said...

Thanks, Kimberly! I didn't do all this fun stuff in public school either. This is my 2nd chance to learn it all (especially history) and have a great time doing it! :-)

We're heading out tonight to our tournament destination (about 3 hours away). It'll be a fun time. A lot of people from the school are going so it will be even more fun!

Christina S. said...

The chicken pharaoh is fantastic! Love it!!!!

Christina S.
LessonPathways.com Team Member

Teresita Darling said...

Dude you rock the projects!