Friday, October 16, 2009

1st Grade: Week 9 Highlights

Bible and History went together this week as we read about God's promise of a son to Abraham. We followed Abraham's journey from his birthplace in Ur to Haran, then later, on to Canaan on the map. We also read about the life of Joseph and how God used him to help the people of Egypt and surrounding areas.

Writing: We spent our writing time on birthday thank you notes this week. "Rupert" also enjoyed drawing pictures for his friends on the back of each note.

Math: I've decided to move along in math even though "Rupert" hasn't memorized the addition facts we have done to date. For the next couple of weeks, we'll loosely review addition, then we'll move on. I'm getting more relaxed with the curriculum, and not following it to a T. I think this is better for his individual learning style.

Science: This week we studied skunks and rabbits. "Rupert" especially liked that rabbits have their own version of recycling (eating their droppings until they come out hard and dry and have no nutrition left in them), and that their babies are called "kittens".

ASL: We learned the signs for several fruits and vegetables and for the colors of the rainbow.

Spelling: I gave "Rupert" 2 spelling lists this week, and there was just one word that he needed practice on. The spelling words will be getting harder soon.

And here is this week's Chicken Mummy photo update:




2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Hey, even I learned something new this week from your lessons. I had no idea that a skunks babies were called kittens or that they recycled so creatively. :)

Paige said...

Your chicken mummy looks like it's drying up nicely. Looks like you guys had a good week!