1) We tried fresh, whole cranberries and dried cranberries for a snack.
2) We talked about nicknames.
3) Our Bible verse for the week was "Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7 It went perfectly with the way the grandmother in the story judges Mr. Whiskers by the way he looks.
4) One of the illustrations is done in silhouette, so we talked about what a silhouette is and made
our own silhouettes using a bright light and G's easel paper. We also took a photo using the
silhouette technique. 


5) For science, we did a project to find out how an alkaline ingredient like baking soda would react with an acidic ingredient like yogurt, lemon juice or vinegar. We found that it makes bubbles of carbon dioxide, and that's what makes a cake rise when baking.
6) We made Grandmother's famous Cranberry Bread. The recipe was at the end of the book.

3 comments:
What a neat study! I especially love the silhouette drawing and photo. How DO you take a photo like that? Could you email me? drleeds at sbcglobal dot net
Thanks!
Well, it's official. You're definitely going to win the best mother of the year award for 2008. You're a natural born teacher aren't you? What a lucky little boy G is.
Oh, and I love the silhouettes. I remember doing one of those in kindergarten and I'm pretty sure my mom still has it. :)
Hee, thanks, Kimberly. :-) Like I said before though, I'm not that great...I just copy people who are. :-) One thing I LOVE about the digital world is that I can take pictures of his artwork and keep them forever that way, and they don't take so much space. My mom was a keeper of all things made by children, and I never understood it...until G started making pictures. :-)
Post a Comment