Sunday, June 7, 2009

First Grade Planning

I think I've got first grade figured out as far as subjects and materials. I know it's kind of a trial and error thing, and I'm sure there will be a bit of tweaking once we get started, but here are my picks for first grade:

Grammar ~ First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind
Writing ~ Writing With Ease and workbook level 1
Math ~ Math-U-See (Foundations)
History ~ The Story of the World, Vol 1
The Story of the World Activity Book
The Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World History
The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia
Science ~ Elemental Science (Biology)
The Kingfisher First Animal Encyclopedia
The Kingfisher First Human Body Encyclopedia
Plant Parts
Phonics ~ Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading
ASL ~ A Basic Course in American Sign Language
Signing Time videos
Spelling ~ We'll give spelling a try. I'm not sure if he's really ready for it yet, but I did find this site that has grade leveled spelling lists .

I also plan on reading a butt load of books from the library, mostly pertaining to what we're doing in history and science. We may try a little piano, but again, I'm not sure he's ready for it just yet. And, of course, we'll continue with Bible and kung fu through the coming school year.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

hehe, out of everything you wrote I got hung up on "you" saying "butt load". LOL! I am SO the mother of a boy. ;)

Mommy to One said...

I figured someone would pick up on "butt load". LOL! Congratulations, you're the winner! :-)