Monday, April 19, 2010

Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup

I use this in casseroles and sauces just as I would store bought cream of chicken soup.  I love knowing what's in my soup and knowing that it is HEALTHY!



Ingredients:
1 1/2 C. chicken broth
1/2 t. poultry seasoning
1/4 t. onion powder (or a bit of diced onions)
1/4 t.  garlic powder (or diced garlic)
1/8 t. black pepper
1/4t.  sea salt (or to taste)
1/4 t. parsley
dash of paprika
1 1/2 C. milk
3/4 C. flour

In a medium saucepan, boil chicken broth, 1/2 cup of the milk, and the seasonings for a minute of two (longer if using fresh onions or garlic).

In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of milk and the flour.  Add to boiling mixture and continue whisking briskly until mixture boils and thickens.

I freeze this in 1-1.5 cup portions so I can just thaw it when I need a can of soup.  And I usually at least double the recipe so I can stock up and always have some on hand.

No comments: