Saturday, April 17, 2010

Homemade Granola

A friend of mine shared this recipe with me (thanks, Angie!!), and my family is loving it!  We make granola, fruit and yogurt parfaits with this and also just eat it as a cold cereal.  This is so good, I don't think I'll ever need to buy packaged cereal again!


3 C.  rolled oats
1/2 C. chopped almonds
1/2 C. chopped pecans
1/2 C. chopped walnuts
1/4 C. pumpkin seeds
1/2 C. flaked coconut (unsweetened)
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. salt (unless you use salted butter, then omit)
4 T. butter or oil
1/3 C. honey
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1/2 C. dried cranberries
1/2 C. dried blueberries

Preheat oven to 325

Stir together oats, nuts, seeds, coconut, salt, and cinnamon.

In a small saucepan melt butter (or oil) with honey over low heat, stirring.  Remove from heat and add vanilla. Pour over oat mixture and stir until well combined.

On a large baking sheet, spread granola into a thin layer.  Bake, stirring every 5 minutes, until brown and crisp, about 20 minutes.  Do not overcook; it will crisp more once cool.

Let cool, then stir in dried fruit.

Any combination of unsalted nuts/seeds/dried fruit would taste great.  Just use the same proportions.

***I did alter this recipe since I didn't have all these things on hand.  I made mine with almonds, peanuts, sunflower seeds, raisins and dried dates.  I didn't use coconut (I don't like it), and it came out fine.  Next time around I may try coconut oil instead of the butter.  I think my family would enjoy that.  And I can't wait to try this with other dried fruits like raspberries, strawberries and apples!!

No comments: