Thursday, January 15, 2009

A New Twist on Phonics

I really like the Explode the Code Online program we've been using for phonics. G, on the other hand, isn't so impressed. So, I've decided to mix it up a bit. We'll still do ETC Online 3 days a week, but the other two days we'll get more creative. A few days ago I made up some sight word flash cards and each time G read the word correctly, he got to jump from one stool to another (it doesn't sound that exciting, but G LOVED it!). When he got through the whole set of flash cards without any problems, his reward was a picnic lunch on the living room floor, something he also LOVES. Worked like a charm!

Today, I took those same flash cards and had G write his sight words on the patio with chalk. His idea, and again, he loved it.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Explode the Code. Boy, that's a series I remember well. (I used to work for a company that sold homeschooling materials.)

I think this post marks the #1 reason why homeschooling works so well. You're able to adapt and change to suit G's needs. I love the creative ways you find of motivating him.